Unit 1: HOME LIFE
Exercise 1: Hãy chọn một câu trả lời đúng nhất:
1. My mother works _______a nurse in a big hospital. She examines the patients.
2. She had to work on _______last night, so she is very tired this morning.
A. the roof
B. the table
C. the bed
D. night shift
3. My father is very busy with his work at the office. He usually comes home very _______at
C. on time
4. My mother _______very early in the morning to prepare our breakfast.
C. gets up
D. stays up
5. My mother is a _______woman. She does all the household chores to make us more
6. In my free-time, I often help mom with _______the house.
A. to clean
7. I take responsibility to _______my little brothers because they are sometimes very naughty.
A. look after
B. get up
C. sit down
D. shut up
8. My responsibility is to wash dishes and _______the garbage.
A. take off
B. take out
C. take care of
D. take over
9. My brothers love joining my dad in _______things around the house at weekends.
C. to mend
10. Whenever problems come up, we discuss frankly and find _______quickly.
D. to solve
11. Mai is my closest friend. We are always willing to _______feelings to each other.
12. My family is the base from which we can go into the world with _______.
13. I like doing _______such as cooking, washing and cleaning the house.
B. white house
C. lord of house
D. household chores
14. My father is a _______He often does researches with animals and plants.
15. In my family, both my parents _______to give us a nice house and a happy home.
A. join hands
B. get out
C. shake hands
D. clutch hands
16. My brothers are often very _______to what I say. They are really lovable.
17. Unlike most men, my uncle likes _______very much. I like his eel soup very much.
A. having a shower
B. drinking beer
C. playing cards
18. My responsibility is to _______my little brothers.
A. take care of
B. join hands
C. take over
D. work together
19. Although my father is very busy, he tries _______much time taking care of his children.
A. to spend
C. to get up
D. getting up
20. My father is very helpful. He is always _______give a hand with cleaning the house.
A. will to
D. willing to
Exercise 2: Hãy xác định một câu có phần gạch dưới cần được sửa lại cho đúng:
1. My brothers love joining my dad in to mend
things around the house at weekends.
2. I am now in my attempt winning a place at the same university to my brother.
3. My mother works in a doctor in a big hospital. She examines the patients.
4. My responsibility is to wash dishes and take off the garbage.
5. In my free-time, I often help mom with cooking the house.
6. My father and my mom joins hands to give us safety, security and happy family.
a week, my mother have to work on a night shift at hospital.
8. His eel soup is the best one I have ever eat.
9. I’m now under study pressure, so I feel very fine all the time.
10. After hospital, my mother rushes to the market, then hurried home for the dinner.
Exercise 3: Hãy đọc đoạn văn và chọn một câu trả lời đúng nhất cho mỗi chỗ trống tương ứng
The United States has many different types of families. While most American families are
traditional, (1)_______ a father, a mother and one or more children, 22 percent of all American
families in 1998 were headed by one parent, usually a woman. In a few families in the United States,
there are no children. These (2) _______ couples may believe that they would not make good parents;
they may want freedom from responsibilities of childbearing; or, perhaps they (3)_______ physically
able to have children. Other families in the United States have one adult (4)_______ a stepparent. A
stepmother or stepfather is a person who joins a family by marrying a father or a mother.
Americans tolerate and accept these different types of families. In the United States people have
right to privacy and Americans do not believe in telling other Americans what type of family group
they must belong to. They respect each other’s choices regarding family groups. Families are very
important (5)_______ Americans.
1. A. consist of
B. consisting of
D. including of
2. A. childish
3. A. are not
4. A. who is
C. which is
D. which has
5. A. for
Exercise 4: Hãy đọc đoạn văn và chọn một câu trả lời đúng nhất cho mỗi chỗ trống tương ứng
One evening Dr. Peterson was at a party. A woman came up to him and began to talk about her
back. "Its very painful (1)_______ I've worked for a long time in my garden", the woman said.
"You've hurt it by bending for too long", Dr. Peterson replied. He than showed her (2)_______ to do
some exercises. However, (3)_______ the woman left he felt very angry. He went up to a friend of his
who was a lawyer. He told him about (4)_______ the woman and asked him for his advice. "Do you
think I (5)_______ to send her a bill?" he asked. The lawyer thought for a moment and nodded. "How
much should I charge (6)_______ giving all that advice?" Dr. Peterson asked. "Change her your usual
fee" they lawyer said. The next day Dr. Peterson sent the woman a bill. (7)_______ a few days later
he was surprised (8)_______ letter from the lawyer. (9)_______ he opened the letter, he saw the
following brief note: "Please find a bill for $50 for the advice (10)_______".
1. A. because
D. as soon as
2. A. what
3. A. when
4. A. meet
C. to meet
D. he met
5. A. should
B. had better
6. A. by
B. because of
C. owing to
7. A. However
B. In addition
8. A. by receiving
B. to receive
C. for receiving
9. A. Because
10. A. gave you
B. What I gave you
C. when I gave you
D. I gave you
Exercise 5: Hãy đọc đoạn văn và chọn một câu trả lời đúng nhất cho mỗi câu hỏi theo sau:
Mrs. Sand was having a lot of trouble with her skin, so she went to her doctor about it. However
the doctor could not find anything wrong with her, so he sent her to the local hospital for some tests.
The hospital, of course, sent the results of the tests direct to Mrs. Sand’s doctor, and the next morning
he telephoned her to give her a list of the things that he thought she should not eat, as any of them
might be the cause of her skin trouble.
Mrs. Sand carefully wrote all the things down on a piece of paper, which she then left beside the
telephone while she went out to a ladies' meeting.
When she got back home a couple of hours later, she found her husband waiting for her. He had
a big basket full of packages beside him, and when he saw her, he said, "Hello, sweetheart. I have
done all your shopping for you. "
"Done all my shopping?" she asked in surprise. "But how did you know what I wanted?"
"Well, when I got home I found your shopping list beside the telephone," answered her husband,
"so I went down to the shops and bought everything you had written down. "
Of course, Mrs. Sand had to tell him that he had bought all the things the doctor did not allow
her to eat!
1. The story is mainly about ____________.
A. Mrs. Sand's skin trouble
B. Mrs. Sand's husband’s care for her
C. her husband's carelessness
D. her husband's misunderstanding
2. Her doctor sent her to the local hospital because ____________.
A. she was not his patient
B. the medical tests there would tell him exactly what her problem was
C. the hospital would take good care of her thanks to the tests
D. hers was a very serious case
3. The ladies' meeting lasted ____________.
A. the whole morning
B. exactly two hours
C. less than two hours
D. more than two hours
4. Perhaps when Mrs. Sand left for the meeting, her husband ____________.
A. was working in the garden
B. was in the bathroom
C. was somewhere in the house
D. was out at work
5. Mrs. Sand's husband bought all the things on the list because ____________.
A. he wanted to help his wife with the shopping
B. he wanted to buy what she was not allowed to eat
C. he had nothing to do when he got home
D. he himself liked them very much
Exercise 6: Hãy đọc đoạn văn và chọn một câu trả lời đúng nhất cho mỗi câu hỏi theo sau:
Parents often have dreams for their children’s future. They hope their children will have a better life
than they had. They dream that their children will do things that they couldn’t do. Parents who come
to the U. S from foreign countries hope their children will have better education here. They think their
children will have more career choices and more successful lives. They make many sacrifices so that
their children will have more opportunities. They think their children will remain close to them
because of this. Some children understand and appreciate these sacrifices and remain close to their
parents. However, other children feel ashamed that their parents are so different from other
1. Parents often dream of )_______.
A. their children’s making a lot of money in the future.
B. one day seeing their children become famous people.
C. one day living on their children’s money.
D. a bright future for their children.
2. Parents who come home from U. S from foreign countries hope that _______.
A. their children will have a lot of careers.
B. their children become successful directors.
C. their children will have more opportunities for good education.